"I'm from Finland"
- Really? You don't look like a Finn nor act like one.
"Yea. I get that a lot. My mom had a affair with a Spanish guy in Summer 1986"
- WHAT SERIOUSLY
"No I'm kidding. I have my dad's nose, ears and character. And my mom is practically Swedish so maybe that's why.
"Oooh, okay. I mean, I've met a lot of Finns but you don't look like them. And you smile a lot. And talk fast and fluent English"
^^^
I promise you, I have has that discussion at lest 10 times. That is one of the reasons I left Finland - I don't fit in. I don't act like a Finn and apparently I don't even look Finnish! I've been talkative all my life and I'm very social. I don't mind going out with strangers and newbies which is why I love traveling. It usually takes me few minutes to find someone to talk with - if I feel like it. You'd be surprised how often I choose NOT to talk and act friendly.
I can't really talk about work because of the confidentiality ( Not Kidding ) But I guess I can tell you a little bit about my new friends at work. When I started two weeks ago it was me, Andreas from Sweden, Rick from Holland, Carine from France and Fiona from Scotland. And we have had so much fun. Fiona is practically my long lost family member. It's funny how some people just make you feel like you've known them forever. We have very similar sense of humor so work is never boring because of her. And then there is my little one, Carine. Carine is Very Beautiful - just like French usually are (Cami<3). And nice. And funny. I feel very protective over her because she is tiny, but I've learned that underneath all that niceness there is a bit of character as well... Andreas is a very different Swede. He is a bit more quiet and serious than Swedes usually are.. but then after few beers he'll start singing. Just like every other Swede does as well. Rick is a bit of mystery to me. I don't know him very well but he seems like a nice guy overall.
Last night I made a trip to Greenock because there was a flat party. Almost everyone from work were there so finally I had a chance to get to know all of them better. I work with Swedes, Norwegians and Danish people. And yes, I got into a heated argument about hockey with a Swede. I think every Finn remembers the traumatic experience when Finland lost 6-5 to Sweden. So when you bring that up in a conversation .. what can you expect? I started singing "Det glider in" which got the Swedish guy into a really bad mood. HEY, all is fair in love and war right? Me, Andreas and Carine went to a club "Red" and danced a little. I did tequila. I wanted to celebrate my birthday and I just didn't get drunk even though I tried. Tequila didn't work either. Me and Carine slept over at Andreas's flat because the last train was long gone. Carine woke me up at 8am by asking "Are you awake?" No. "Okay..." and continued talking. I gave up and suggested that we should head to train station. There is nothing like a walk of shame in 8am on Sunday morning.
| Dance Dance! |
| Carine and Andreas |
| Walk of Shame on Sunday Morning at 8am |
I got home just as Salla and Cat were leaving. I love my friends but I hate nothing more than coming home that stinks like cigarettes. I don't ming if you smoke indoors in your home etc. but you don't smoke indoors in here.
I'm very excited about Tuesday. I'm going out with someone who is more crazier than I'm . Just saying. Also I'm taking donuts to work. Work overall is going to be interesting, until yesterday Swedish team didn't know that I understand Swedish .. well if not fluently but pretty close to fluent. Let's see how things change.
What else?
I've been following hockey intensively and I'm amazed and speechless how well Teemu Selänne is playing. Age is nothing but a number, when you master a skill the way he does, it doesn't matter how old are you. Teemu Selänne is a legend for sure! I've also been following Antti Niemi, goal keeper to the San Jose Sharks. I have to admit, I'm a bit happy that Chicago is struggling to get to the playoffs. They weren't willing to pay enough to keep Antti in their team and now they might not even make it to Play off's. But even though I'm a fan of all the Finnish players.. My heart is with Detroit Red Wings so they should win the Stanley Cup. Or Anaheim, just because Teemu deserves it.
Okay.
Time to have some Ben and Jerry's and watch telly.
Next time I'm writing this.. I'll be 24.
Jenni
BTW. Thank you HANNA for the birthday gift and the card. I love you Monkey face!
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti