17.8.2011

The USA Diary


Jordan at the Hancock bridge

Hey!

I'm at my mums house and searching for my stuff, as I'm homeless I have storaged my stuff everywhere. Most of it to mum's, dad's and my brothers cellar. As I was looking for my papers I stumbled upon my diary that I started writing when I went to USA in 2008..."

19.8 2008


".... I've been in USA officially now for 5hours and my first impression of Americans is that they are very happy people. They talk a lot, not that serious. I love hearing English everywhere!"

20.8 2008

".. Internet is not working and battery died as I don't have an adapter for my charger. I'm so confused! My english is so horrible and I'm being shy for some reason. I'm sitting in my room alone and deep in thought. Three Finns live just close by and asked me to join them for lunch. Declined, was being shy and felt like I needed time to adjust everything. I don't regret coming here.. I just feel a bit lost at the moment. I have a roommate Aggie. She is pretty young but seems alright. Luckily Johanna2 gave me this diary so I have someone to talk to ..

Me and Hanna being silly
Oh. The bathroom! Four women and one shower.. it's gonna be a nightmare! I think I should leave this room. But where to? Did the Finns forgot about me? I can't remember when was the last time I ate, maybe 12h ago?"

November 2008

"Dear diary. Haven't been writing here in four months. Everything is so different now! I think I'm in love with this country. Me and Hanna are about to go to the gas station. Yea. Hanna is one of the Finns I mentioned. Anni, Katri and Ilkka also live here! I have plenty of friends now and I don't feel alone anymore. I have a huge crush on the floor RA Jordan. He is so amazing. I think we are friends now.. I assume so! Sometimes it's hard to be sure what Americans really think of you.. oooh. Gotta go. Hanna is at the door! xx Jenni"

Jordan at the Homecoming 
May 10th. 2009

"Dear Diary

I thought I lost you! Found you as I was packing to go home. I KNOW, back to Finland. Insane!  I'm actually at Jordan's cabin watching a movie. I attended his graduation party today, insane seeing all his family. So the romance between me and Jordan never happened - for the obvious reasons - but I have been thinking of love lately and what it really means to love someone. Like, you can love someone so much without actually Being In Love With someone. Hard to explain you know. I wonder if he'll forget me when I'm gone. So many Finns come and go through here, can people really remain as friends when time goes on? Or do we forget? 

May 15th 2009

"... Home is only a week away. Starting to freak out. Why do I need to leave home to go home? Seeing Jordan with his family has really made me miss mine. Especially my mom. God I miss my mom.

Shopping list for Chicago

1. Ranch dressing
2. Migraine medicine
3. Victoria's Secret
4. Walmart stuff
5. Eyeliner ...:"

May 20th 2009

" Only few days from home. I wonder if people really miss me there. Been talking to Salla a lot. I think she is more closer to me than I thought. Johanna hasn't called for a while. Laura! I've been talking to Laura a lot. I think she is pretty awesome. Remember to call Laura when you get home! "

May 21st. Last day.

"... I'm drunk while writing this. In Chicago with Jordan. I think we drank like 12 beers so far. You should see this room. It's a mess. Been just drinking, chilling and having fun in Chicago. I think I love this city!" 

AIRPORT 2009

"Omg. Going home. Been crying my eyes off. Just said goodbyes to Jordan... All hell broke lose when I said Bye bye. People are staring at me. He wrote me a letter. Crying again.

Quick notes about past year

With the lovely Anni
- Powerpuff girls. Establishing a beautiful friendship with Anni and Hanna. Knowing on Anni's door and lying in her bed with all three of us and talking about boys.

- Watching Gossip Girl with Lauren

- Water fight with Jordan at the cabin

- Applebees with friends. Half of appetizers 

-Getting drunk with Ilkka at the bar

-"Do you guys go to the church every Sunday because I DON'T!"

- New York with Jaimiann

- Mine Shaft with the peeps. Hanna's hot dance!

- Florida with friends and New York with Salla

- Eric and Saudi Baby

- Jordan singing and playing piano

- 80s party

- Having a fight with Lauren "GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

- Pranks on Hanna. And Jon. Cat ghost.

- Super Mario with Travis

- Fire alarms

- Chasing a police car with Ashley

- Drunk at the ice ring with Kelly .."

What's next for me? When can I return home?

**

That was a little inside glimpse on my amazing year in the States.

We all know how the story continued. Hanna moved to Vaasa in the end of the Summer to study (!) and we lived together as roommates. Me, Anni and Hanna returned USA in October for 10 days only to come back home with swine flu. I have remained as friends with some people I got to know in States. Some people I have forgotten. I saw a picture of Brent and freaked out. I loved Brent in US. I hadn't even noticed he was gone from my facebook. What happened to him?

As you can read from this post, Jordan meant the world to me then and is still a big part of my life. So is Hanna. Hanna now lives in Germany and Anni is in Helsinki. We still talk, the three of us but not that often. I also keep contact with Kelly and Ashley mostly. Also with Pam and Nikki. Lauren and I don't talk that often but enough so I can call her my friend. Travis is also still one of the people I miss tremendously so is Jaimiann. Me and Salla became best of friends and I'm very close with Laura as well. She actually took me to movies on Monday and it was the funniest thing ever as she saw her first 3d movie ever. I've lived in Kenya since and in Glasgow. But I miss USA everyday.



Time is a strange thing. When I said goodbyes to Jordan and returned home I was absolutely heartbroken. I thought I'll lose it. But now, two (or is it three even?) years later I'm still standing. Missing my friends in the USA has turned into this small feeling in my heart. I know I'll go back but when . . I don't know. Time goes on and on and before we know it. We'll be old and ugly. 

Going home
Going to USA was by far the best decision of my life so far. Grew up and found focus. I found purpose.

This post was mainly for those I met in the small town of Hancock. I still think of you very fondly and I hope everyone is doing great.


Jenni

Ei kommentteja: