3.12.2010

We Need Food for the Good Mood

And I'm back only to leave again in three weeks.

What can I say after spending four intense days with social workers? Fun, talkative and tiring.

Let's take a look what happens when social workers go for a field trip.

As a graduating class of 10' we were given a chance to take a short field trip to Estonia, Pärnu and see what kind of social work they do and in what standards. Estonia is like smaller version of Finland. Everything is almost like the same but with a little twist. Language is almost alike. National anthem is pretty much the same. Landscape isn't too different. But Estonians are more beautiful as they have the Russian gene. Seriously, Finns are small and stern looking, Estonians tall and seductive..

There were 15 of us plus three teachers and a bus driver Simo. I'm not sure if he really is Simo but he looks like Simo to me. Anywho. The trip could not been longer and it didn't help that me and Tiina didn't sleep a single pit a night before the departure. Mira and Tiina stayed over in my place as it was freezing as hell outside so we ordered a cab in the early morning to take us to the starting point.

It took like 12 hours to get to Pärnu and we were exhausted. Instead of being able to take a break and relax at the hotel, we were scheduled into some school event. I have no idea what was talked bc I think I was sleeping internally. Off to bed at 9pm. That's right, maybe not my pridest hour but yes. I went to sleep early like a granma. BUT hey, get this. I did take a part in going to town after the school event and we got lost because some of us (krhm) knew a "short cut" and we were wandering around helplessly in stranded alleys and parks.

Wednesday was spend with school related tours and discussions. It was funny how one of the tour guides spoke the mixture of Finnish, Estonian and English. And all the "s" were "z". It was really hard to focus on what he wanted to say. Nevertheless Pärnu was a good learning experience, my profession covers so many aspects and there are so many things I will be able to do. The guide asked us what do people think about social workers and I replied that sum might think we are putting our noses into places where it doesn't belong and meddling but I think we, social workers, really care about people and want to help. :)

Later on Wednesday all the seniors went out to eat and have drinks. It was very nice to have people from both of the classes around and discuss about school and life after it. Most of them I will never see after this trip so yea, it was a bit sad for me as well.

I spent almost all of my time with Mira, Maija, Laura and Tiina. We have never been together so intensively for this long so some new characteristics were revealed. I know my sarcasm can be a bit too much sometimes and I forget to stop teasing people in time. I go overboard. I do apologize this, especially from Laura and Mira whom take most of snarky comments. Knowing when to stop isn't my best quality. But, we all have some bad habits right?

I was happy that I had a chance to get to know the other social work class as well. Most of them have been pretty distant to me and because I always hang out with same people, there haven't really been a chance for us to get to know each other. And now that I got that chance, I only regret of not knowing you guys earlier!

Tiina said that our trip to Estonia could be described with few words. Those words were: Food. Volume. Laughter. Sleep. And Shit. Without going into too much of detail. We ate. A lot. I mean for god sake, how much food can people eat really. Starting with sandwiches, buffet lunch at the cruise, school food, snacks, drinks, early dinner, breakfast, late lunch, evening snack, brunch.. In every opportunity we ate. Just because the food was cheap and delicious.







In Tallinn and Super-Alko (Liquor store) I witnessed the amounts of alcohol that people purchased from there. Finns carried out tons and tons of boxes of beer and vodka. I mean, no wonder alcohol is expensive in Finland because apparently when it's cheap we just can't get enough of it. BUY BUY BUY TAKE TAKE AND DRINK. Social worker in me was in horror and was thinking of how everyone in that store needed some substance abuse classes. Yes, I bought some stuff too, most of my shopping was done in the spirit of Christmas and Christmas presents. I bought alcohol for my goodbye party that is taking place in two weeks time :o)

Our trip ended last night at 4am when bus finally arrived to Vaasa. Mira gave me a ride home and I had to say goodbyes to Tiina. Next time I see her will be in Tiias wedding. God dammit it hurt. I like Tiina a lot because she is such a spirit and she almost always smiles and listens others. She has been one of the responsible ones of our group and you can always count on her when it comes to school work. I also said goodbyes to Maija. Maija was a little distant person to me before this trip. I mean we've been friends for over three years now but just at school. It was so much fun to be able to spend time with her and get to know her as well. Maija is sassy and sarcastic. I'll miss her and Tiina so much. Luckily most of the goodbyes are still ahead. Not going to think about those now.

Today I was at work with Susu and it wasn't too bad. My favorite bartender paid a visit and that always makes me happy. I also met my favorite client and I was almost reluctant to close the shop. Tomorrow me and Hanna are going out to dance because we both need to go out and dance. I need to because school stuff awaits me on Monday and Hanna needs to because her job is very stressful. Next week Dad is taking me and co. to Tuuri and Keskinen to get some Christmas presents. My aunt and uncle are here from Sweden I need to take time to see them as well. Busy Busy Busy as always.

Love and Shit.

Jenni

Ei kommentteja: