8.3.2012

Can't Hold Us Down 12'

Women are such an interesting species.

We are unique like snowflakes.
You can see it from the little girls, how their characters are building up and they start forming their identities in a very young age. When I have boys playing together in the playroom corner - where are the girls? In a tent making mischievousness plans.
I asked a girl today that what color is she going to choose to her new room - pink? "No, black" -Why black? "Because I'm tired with everyone thinking girls can only wear pink or red. I like all colors. I like blue, red and purple. I like jeans and skirts. I like castles and cars. I like everything. Not only pink."



When I think of myself as a GIRL. As a woman, what has it been like for me to grow up in a very equal society. Have I ever had to struggle because of my sex? No, not in that sense. But society expects more from girls.. The competition about good grades has always been there. Even though my parents are always been supportive I do remember them expecting that I get A's and 9's to home. I've always been good at school because it was expected from me. I've always been very independent. I learned to read with a willpower. I didn't want to belong to the "I can't read group" in class so I lied that I could read so I had to learn. My first word that I learned to read was knife. I even remember the notebook page which was my first reading assignment. I just had to learn or to admit I can't.

**


"Have you ever kissed someone?" and  "Have you done the deed?" "Did you lose your V-card?" Having sex means you are cool and not a nice girl but talking about sex or having sex with more than one guy turns you into a slut. There is still so much double standard between what men can do but women can't.

Women are not supposed to drive Formula.
Or Rally. 
Women's Hockey is boring. And football. 
Women should stay home. Women should go to work.
Women should take care of the house, the children and go to work.
Women are considered as dykes and lesbians if they drive a truck or do any mechanical work - It's Not For Us.
Women get paid less.
Rape is not really a crime - We beg for the abuse of our body
Rape is not wrong in marriage
You own me. I'm someones property. 
Women shouldn't have sex more than one guy.
Women should not double date.
You asked for that hit.
You wanted that baby. 
You are not supposed to do an abortion. All life is precious, even if it would cost you yours. 

And so on.

Bullshit. 


And the horrors. There are so many horrors that some women in this world have to go thorough. 

From rape to abuse, to circumcision to not been allowed to leave the house without a man. To not be able to drive a car or to vote. Women getting impregnated because it's their duty and women locked into a house. Girl babies thrown into rivers and locked into caves because they were not wanted. Women who are sexually harassed to women who use their bodies as a shield to protect their children. No. Being a woman is not easy. And I haven't even started about PMS pains and labor. 

But women are strong. We might not be strong in physical sense but we are strong in spirit. You might beat us down but we will come back up. We are mothers, sisters, aunts and cousins. We are relatives and friends. Being a woman is like being part of a big network of compassion. It doesn't matter where you are from because there is something you can always relate to. Women care and we hope. When woman wants something she will make it happen. Even the most depressed and bullied women can surprise with their want to live and survive..


"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned/ Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned 
-Wiliam Congreve

To conclude this very feminist blog post... I strongly think that women are the force that makes this world go around. And in the end, men are the ones who get to help us. Because we do need men too. We should be considered as equally awesome.

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMAN'S DAY TO ALL WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD. ONE DAY WE SHALL ALL BE EQUAL. 


Jenni

Ei kommentteja: