11.9.2011

9/11

10 years ago.

Ground zero 08. Where Twin Towers once were. 
I was in the 8th grade. I remember the day had been really long, really really long. I had my own entrance at our home. Mum and dad were still together, mum had come home from work. She was cooking lunch. I went to say hi to her and told her I was going to take a nap before dinner. She said dad would be home in an hour or so and would wake me up.

I was sleeping. I remember exactly how my room looked like. I had a nice blue room. I was sleeping on my blue bed cover and cuddling with my wee teddy bear. Mum walks into my room and says, "Put the tv on". She sits by my bed as I'm a bit confused by this odd wake up. She says "Something really bad has happened in the USA" The first tower was hit by then. We were looking at the tv, it said "special program.America is under attack" Mum goes on, it's not over yet. And then the second plane hit the second tower. "MUM did you see that!" We were staring at the screen. Mum says, this is not good. USA is going to war.

The towers go down.


Pentagon is hit.


Flight 93 hits Pennsylvania


USA goes to war with Afghanistan. And Iraq. 

Next day, as I went to school. We were talking about it, teacher wanted to know how does this make us feel. Are we afraid? We were young then, did not fully understand what was going on.

How much evil and bad things have we seen since? Too much.

I'm very protective about Americans. I dislike it very much, when people criticize the country even though they have never been there. Basing their opinions on media. 

Americans are by far the kindest people I have ever encountered and I've meet a lot of people. Americans are not stupid nor do they want war. Americans do enjoy that life is made simple by automatizing everything. Americans invite you over for Thanksgiving. Americans give you a ride when you need it. They comfort you when you are sad. They encourage you when you are lost. They listen to you when you want to be heard. They love you when you don't deserve it and they open their homes and make you welcome.

No country is perfect. Americans might not know where Finland is, but they listen when you tell where it is. Americans are not one big mass of people but mass of individuals. Individuals with their own ideas, hopes and dreams. One wants free health care. One is against it. One thinks money makes the world go around... Other one gives it up. One invites you in. Other says you should leave. One likes country other listens to rap. One has a car other has a two cars. Americans are not their politics. Most of them have enough on their plate without it. Americans are rich. Americans are poor. Americans don't care for nature. They still love their environment. Americans are a lot of things. To me, they are amazing, caring and loving nation. Americans are all very patriotic. 

Was the war against Iraq and Afganistan justified? 

Is it okay that the Taliban slave their women?

Is it okay that Saddam killed tons of his own countrymen? 

Is the world better without him?

Did Osama deserve to die?

Today, we remember those innocent people who died in 9/11. Would've, Should've, Could've. We don't know how the world would have been without the 9/11. It happened.

7/7 in London happened. 

11/3 Spain happened. 

School shootings in Finland happened. 

Norway happened. 

Would've, Should've, Could've.



Today we should not guess what could have been. We should not praise hate. We should not say who won and what. Let's just take a breath and respect and remember those who lost their lives in 9/11.

God Bless America and its people.

I love you.

Jenni

Ei kommentteja: