23.7.2011

See No Evil. Hear No Evil. Speak No Evil.

Sometimes it's really hard to understand humans.

As I've been working in a call center I've been looking at people, exploring their behavior and trying to understand the ways of different nationalities. How the French like to eat cookies and pastry. How Italians are just as loud as people think they are. How Swedes can be a bit snobby. How Finns are very different from other Scandic, we are more serious. We laugh in secret. We don't make that much noise.  (Well, like one once said, Finns are really not part of the Scandinavia).

When I was in USA .. Americans were a bit daft sometimes, ignorant even. "Do you take a bus back to Finland" and "Are you studying in here because there are no Universities in Finland?" But Americans were very kind and attentive - the perfect hosts really.

Scots smoke too much. And swear even more. But they are jolly and they enjoy their free time. Especially when free time includes fags, friends and football. 

Kenyans are a bit of a mystery. I always felt that they wanted something from me. That they thought I owed them something. But, when They asked how I felt about their country and I replied "It's utterly beautful really" they looked proud and said - It's is magnificent isn't it.

French don't know any personal space. They like hugging. They kiss you to your cheek. They show affection easily. French know how to look classy, almost serene. French are beautiful.

Japanese. Oh my. They are interesting. They are very very polite. They also know how to speak English but they are a bit insecure about it. They are proud. "Jenni, I usually don't hug people. It's not our habit to show affection like that, but you are alright. I'm used with you hugging me around" My friend Kaz said to me years ago.

Australians are just as happy go lucky people. Very kind. Very jolly. Very smart. And tanned.

I've met a lots of people in the past years. A LOT. Nationalities that I mentioned above are just few examples how I have discovered people around me. But people are weird. I once read it from somewhere, that humans are the only species that kill each other for fun. I know it's not true,  other species do it as well, for territorial purposes and such. But I think humans, actually enjoy it. Humans enjoy causing pain and harm to others. The ways we have discovered to hurt each other, pain of torture and humiliation. Ripping of self confidence. Rape. Abuse. Child abuse. Beating. Hitting. Mental abuse. Extortion. Hate. Gossip. Envy.

We put cats to microwaves. We poison sausages so dogs will die after eating them. We steal money from elderly.. after we have locked them into institutions and forgot they ever existed. If you buy a lawnmower, we give you a gun. We love our religion but we hate yours. We hate anything and everyone who is different. We kill gay people. Priest condemns them, and then rapes a child.We kill species to extinct. We judge people because they use ivory but then we wear it ourselves. We cut down the rain forests. We kill the planet. We drown the sea with our crap. We kill with oil and because of oil. We throw our trash to the nature. Plastic bags, bottles, wrappings.. We don't care. We are ignorant. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Except we do. We just don't care. 

Let's care.

My heart is absolutely breaking because of the event's that are happening in Norway. Massacre they say. "Don't call, hiding" some young person tweets. Other swims to the other shore, hoping not to die.

I'm updating this post because 20 victims became 92, at the moment. 92 Norwegians died because of a madman. Yes, people in Libya and Sudan die everyday in large numbers but you can never compare a loss. One life lost is enough. One child's life lost is more than enough. 


Today should be the day when we start caring. Sun is shining in Glasgow and everything is peaceful. What a perfect day to care, to pay attention, to listen what is said and left unsaid. To hear desperation and offer a shoulder. To see bullying and stop it. To witness something suspicious and report it. To hear screaming and try to stop it. 


Please care. Give blood. Hug your friend. Call your mother. Donate money. Stop hating. Just stop being ignorant.

What happens to the kids in Somalia does not go away just because you refuse to see it. Kids are starving to death. Women are raped, cut and killed. It's there if you are willing to see it. People die in Sudan because we choose to ignore it. Libyans fight for their lives because we don't want to meddle in. Free people are captured, tortured and held in prison because we don't question where have they gone. 

Kids and adults died in Norway today in vain. Thoughts and prays are with my neighbor country. Our lovely peaceful Norwegians. People who fish, hike and are honest and kind. Heart is heavy today because there is just so much hate in this world.

I wonder how tiring it is for a Muslim to wake up tomorrow morning, hearing the news and being like: Oh shit. Not again. Every year.  "You did this" they will think. People will gossip and stare. It's your fault. No it's not. The killer was a rotten apple and had nothing to do with the Muslims as the articles proved it this morning. Well, not true. Reportedly the killer hated Muslims and governments stand on them. He was just a killer, a weak man. Who will have Hell To Pay one day.

How can we stop this: 9/11 7/7 Jokela/Kauhajoki, Oklahoma, Madrid.. Let's choose to see, hear and speak not evil but about evil. 

Where is the love?


Norway 07/22/11 <3

Jenni

Ei kommentteja: