26.1.2011

Seven Hours

I kinda regret that I've been talking about my job interview so publicly, there is a great chance that I don't get the job. If I don't get it, I'm okay just have to look for another one but I can already see the "Aww, you'll find something" comments coming.

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about my job interview, I didn't sign confidentiality contract or anything yet but wouldn't be surprised if the job interview process was a secret.

The job interview was two hours away from Glasgow. Therefore I had to wake up at 5.30am and leave at 7am. I hadn't slept enough because I was so nervous. (Big Mistake there) I was supposed to receive a letter in the mail from the organization but because I moved I never got it, therefore I was the only one who didn't know that this interview was going to take till 5pm.

On Dumfries train station I met two other candidates for the job. Taxi took us into this old farm house and we started filling out the paper work. Soon we were joined by eight other applicants. After paperwork it was time to go upstairs and listen up what this day would be like, we also introduced ourselves to others. First we had a 45 min discussion about crimes committed to children by other children. We were informed early on not to pay any attention to the staff that was listening to us and taking notes what we were like as a person.

After discussion we were divided into two groups. Our group of four people went into this barn and we faced two sets of different tasks. Mostly these tasks were about team work and team spirit. After we completed these tasks we had to built a 10 min presentation of it.

Lunch.

Now it was time to go back upstairs. Time to do some individual interviews and write an essay. Interviews were held by two different people and I felt that it went fine for me. Our essay was hard one. The topic was "Why Do I NOT Deserve This Job?" Umm. How to answer honestly without risking your possible job?

But the day wasn't over yet.

Lastly we had to present 10 minute presentation in front of the panel. The panel looked emotionless. It was impossible to have any kind of contact with them. Finally we had a case study. We read a case of two boys and in a group tried to figure out a treatment plans for these boys. I was so tired in this last task that I barely said a word. I was exhausted because all day I had been trying to give out a positive image of myself, spoken English and really tried to come up with smart answers.

The day was over at 5pm but our train didn't leave back until 7.30pm. So me and the two other girls hang out in a Best Western lobby and had some Coca Cola. The day had been exhausting but at the same time I had enjoyed so much. It's been a while since I've last been in presence of people who are from the same field of practice. I loved exchanging thoughts and discussions were really great. I think everyone in that job interview deserves to get the job - myself included. I also enjoyed seeing how confident I was. Yes I did struggle to express my thoughts few times but I also noticed how well I'm educated in Social Work. I may not like the way my school has handled my thesis but I gotta to give it to them with the quality. I knew more than I though I did.

Whooh. Later I also got to know that there had been over 100 applicants for the job and 15 got into an interview. They have another set of applicants going for the interview tomorrow. On Friday I get to know if I had the job. I want to say I'm confident that I did well but I think everyone in that interview did so well. But I did my best and if that wasn't enough then I'm not the right person for the job.

Tomorrow I have a very different interview. I'm being interviewed in s Social Services for my ID number because I'm officially staying in the country.

:))

Fingers crossed I get the job!

Jenni

Ei kommentteja: