Greetings!As much as I love travelling, I do not love jetlag. Unlike my roommate who didn't have any jetlag symptoms but few headaches, I sleep odd hours. So yesterday when I thought that "yayy no more jetlag" I find myself waking up at 4am. Again.
So jetlag? From what? What happened?
Since my last posting tons of things have happened in the Curious Life of Jenni Sofia. I quit my job, only to stay till the end of term. I applied to do Erasmus Exchange, got accepted to study in Ireland, decided to move to Ireland and got myself ready to go. My life would've been way too simple like that, because as always - life offers you options. One of my dreams and goals in life is to have Master's Degree. I failed with my Bachelor's Thesis back in 2011, so chances for me to get accepted into Master's Program were pretty slim. I decided to try anyway. Just to see how hard the test is, so that when I come back from Ireland I'd know what to expect. Well - as it happens, I got accepted into Master's Program as well so I needed to do some decisions.
Master's Program came with two options, enroll now or try again next year. I didn't have a chance to postpone it. I bet you know what my decision was - I accepted the position, enrolled in school. I was checking the upcoming Autumn and noticed that workload is heavy. Not only do I have overlapping classes for my Bachelor's and Master's degree, I also have write my thesis by the end of January - February 2016. I decided to drop out of full time work and focus on my studies. This is a hell-of-a-decision for someone who has worked her entire life. So here I'am. End of July and have a full month before school starts. It's so odd. To look at my calendar and to realize that "no, I won't be returning to work next week". It's scary but it do-able.
So that's why I've not been here, there or anywhere. Trying to focus on upcoming changes.
Summer Trip 2015 - North America
Me and my dear friend and roommate, made the difficult decision of skipping Italy this year and to travel to USA to spend time with my best friend Jordan and his boyfriend Lukas. Well, we postponed Italy, it might still happen in October.
Me and Salla traveled to Canada (Toronto) first and then to USA. As those who read this blog know, that I studied in the USA (2008-2009) and met my soul mate during this time. I'm not referring to soul mate in a romantic level but to my dear friend Jordan. There are best friends, then there are friends, there is family and some of us, are lucky to meet a person who is in the same mindset and spiritual level as you are. I can just look at Jordan and know, how he is feeling. It's scary amazing to know someone in such level, that just standing by them you feel that your soul is in peace. I try to see Jordan at least once in two years and this was that year.
Me and Salla flew to Toronto first via Brussels. We had a 17 hour layover in Brussels and we decided to stay in a hotel in town. This was not the best idea as our hotel was located in a bit shady area and we were a bit too afraid to explore and adventure. Also our taxi to the airport next morning was super late and Salla was freaking out that we are going to miss our flights. We didn't. Luckily.We flew with Jet Airways to Toronto and the flights were great. I did have a wine-o sitting next to me though. This older man kept drinking whisky and wine and fell asleep with a full red wine class in his hand. Let me just say, it wasn't the most relaxing 15 minutes as I watched his wine cup little by little lean over towards my lap. I finally took the cup from his hand and put it to the table. The old man was rather confused by this change when he woke up but I coolly closed my eyes. Finally.
There was a funny "Jenni" moment as we came to Canada. The border control took some time so we were thinking all these questions they might ask.I'm really bad with people, at times. I get super nervous and shy when I'm put into a spot, and my mind can be rather blank. I keep going through things to say and answers in my head over and over again.
Here in an example:
Salla: Jenni, remember that we are staying in the Rose Garden B&B - that's the only thing you need to remember. I remember the rest.
Jenni: (muttering) rosegarden b&b, rosegarden b&bm rosegarden b&b ...
Border inspection: What are you doing in Canada? Why are you here?
Me and Salla (at the same time!!) We are here for a holiday and we are staying in the Rose Garden B&B
Border Inspection: (taken by surprise by our simultaneous answer) Oh well - alright. You guys are very much in sync..
Jenni: Well we had time to practice our answers.
......
Despite this, we were granted access and off to Toronto we go!Toronto! What can I say. I fell in love with Toronto. There wasn't anything I didn't like about Toronto. I felt safe and sound there, we stayed in a beautiful Bed and Breakfast called the Rose Garden (highly recommend) ! Toronto was clean and wonderful. Usually I'm not too comfortable (if ever) as a woman to walk outside after 9pm but in Toronto I felt safe to do so. The town was interesting mix of neighborhoods and big city and people were so so polite. Toronto made it to my top 5 places where I've been.
- Lamu Island
- Cinque Terre
- Chicago
- Toronto
- Montepulciano

NIAGRA FALLS
Me and Salla made a day trip to the Niagra Falls. Just a tip for those who are planning on doing so, the connecting bus from the train stop to the Falls drops you off in the middle of nowhere and you have about 45 minute walk before you make it to the actual Falls. I suggest that you drop off in a stop before the last one, if you want a nicer and shorter walk to the Falls and the little city next to it. Me and Salla felt like we've been dropped into an abandoned city. That plus the heat -- not the nicest walk. Good exercise though!

After four amazing days in Toronto, me and Salla flew to Chicago to rush to the bus to Madison (WI). What took us by surprise was that the Canadian / USA border was already in Canada and it took a while. So if you are crossing by plane from Canada to USA, prepare for the border inspection already in Canada. Luckily we did but quite many missed their flights because the queues were about ~45minutes.
I pretty much slept my way to Jordan's. Salla on the other hand had a chance to view the "very exciting" views and landscape between Chicago and Madison. It's pretty much flat flat flat and fields.
Getting off the bus and into the arms of my best friend - moments to treasure. Jordan took us to his and Lukas' home, we dropped our stuff there and went out for few drinks. For the upcoming days we spent a lot of time together, took a bike ride through the town, went out to eat, went shopping ... enjoyed Concerts in the Square, had too much wine . It was just good to be home. For the 4th of July we drove to Michigan, to Jordan's family cabin for a party. All of his family (40-50 people) came to the Lake to eat, hang out and to watch the fireworks.
My favorite moment was when we the took a Golf Cart and me and Salla sat in the back. It was pitch black, we had few Smirnoff Ice's and were under a big blanket. The sky was full of stars and there were fireflies everywhere. That too - was a moment to treasure. We also jumped into a pontoon boat with Jordan's brother and his family to view the fireworks from the Lake. One of the top moments in my life so far.

In Michigan I was lucky to meet up with my old college friends Ashley and Travis. Though the meeting was too short, I treasure it as some never go back, and some never meet again.Driving down from Michigan I knew I had only few days left with my friend. Time just doesn't stop and before you know it, it's time to head home.
To have such a special friendship with someone, it just sucks to leave. I also really really like Jordan's boyfriend so saying goodbyes to Lukas was really difficult as well.




On our last days in Madison we just tried to spend as much time together as possible. From waking up early, to watching tv, eating lunch, cooking, goofing around and just taking it all in before the goodbyes.
Jordan took me and Salla for a hike and we had so much fun. The hike itself was .. well, hot and on difficult ground but with the excellent company it didn't matter much.. Jordan and Salla would comment on this that I complained the whole time ... and I did. But I also really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the moments we had together.
My newest motto in life has been to remember the moments and not to focus too much on the things. You can always buy more stuff but you can't buy time.

As it was time to say goodbye I just couldn't keep the tears in. My heart didn't quite understand why I needed to leave. So my tears came from very deep within. Why to cry? I didn't cry because I didn't want to leave, I know by now that one has to lgo (time's up!) but I cry because it's so damn hard to leave when the future is so uncertain. Will we meet again? Life is unexpected, you can't really be sure of anything, so to tell goodbye to someone so important - sucks.

Our last stop was in Chicago. I've been in Chicago few times before but it was Salla's first time. And it didn't really matter that I had been there before as I've been with Jordan and our friends so we've just been running on and off town. This time we pretty much stayed in the touristy area and did plenty of shopping.We walked to the Navy Pier, took the tourist bus around town, spend eight hours in the Field Museum and visited Shedd Aquarium as well.
Chicago is one of my favorite cities and it was great to be back. Our taxi ride to the hotel was bit too exciting though.
The taxi man didn't take a customer before us and explained to us that why.
Taxi man: Man, the guy before you guys. He wanted to go to the South Side and nobody goes to the South Side. Buddy of mine got robbed and shot there while he was on the phone with his sun.
So I'm not driving there. I'm also checking you guys from the front mirror, so I see if you take a gun out.
**
Poor Salla. A Nice Chicago Welcome.
Here is some Chicago awesomeness:






HOMEThe way back was too long. Don't ask us why, but we flew back to Finland via Canada. I guess it was because our original flights were between Canada and Finland and USA was our detour. So we had to make our way back to Toronto, before flying to Brussels and Helsinki. Everything would've been fine but Salla got terribly ill somewhere between Chicago and Toronto. Motion sickness with migraine was hell on wheels and I felt so bad for her. We flew back with Jet Airlines and we had a really positive experience on our flight to Canada but this return flight was something else.

First we had this Teenage Dirt Bag sitting next to us and he kept speaking to his hands free, even during take off. Me and Salla were waiting for the flight attendant or the steward to do something but they were completely oblivious about the matter.Let's just say, that they hired pretty staff but not the smartest. Salla who was closer to him than I had to tell him off. "Dude, we are taking off and you are on the phone. What the F? Turn your phone off. NOW!"
The Indian Vanilla Ice said that he wasn't on the phone, though we could clearly see that he was. Angry Salla is not a force to be reckoned with which he clearly realized, stopped his phone call. Pretty smart choice.Also the guy seated in front off Salla just decided to move his chair ALLLL THE way back though Salla kindly asked him not to have her screen on her face. "You move your chair back if this bothers you" but Salla couldn't as there was an entire family watching a movie behind her. Salla said to the guy that it's polite to ask a person if this bothers her / him. BUT no.
The Indian Vanilla Ice, The Douche In the Front and the fact that our lunch was 1.5hours late and we didn't get any coffee or tea in the end, well we were pretty darn happy to have the last flight with Finnair. Quality!!
We made it home. Not only are we forever grateful to S and E for picking us up from the airport, but also thanks to Katri our home was safe and sound with a nice message from our friends on the counter. Coming home felt good. Empty, quiet but good. I miss Jordan terribly and Finland has so very little Sun. But other than that life goes on.
During our trip I was messaging with my old colleague, she had two older chihuahua's and seemed that she needed to give them away.The chihu gentlemen didn't really get along with kids as they are bit old and need their sleep.
After me and Salla stayed at Jordan's who owns two dogs and I had no allergic reactions, and knowing that i'll be home quite a bit in the future me and Salla decided to take the dogs.
Edu and Boss moved in yesterday and it's been wonderful to have such well behaved gentlemen living with us.
Of course they are a bit confused with the change and it'll take time for them to adjust with their new home, but we love having them here! It also good for me, that I actually have to leave the house to take the dogs out and that I have some company while I study at home.Speaking of studying. I should brew some coffee and start reading.
Anyway. I'm back!
Jenni





Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti