5.4.2015

Tell Me Everything

Hey.

Do you ever have this feeling that you just want to know everything about everything? Want to speak every possible language? Want to visit every possible country? Do you ever feel that you would like to know how to scuba dive, bake blinis and to personally interview Lady Diana in 1995.

Family Thing

I noticed that my little brother and I have a same habit. We can't just watch a tv show or a movie. We also need to know what's the background, who are the characters, are there any hidden Easter Eggs (spoilers, hints, hidden messages) .. Last night we were watching the Walking Dead and instead of just watching the serie, we were both on our computers trying to find additional information about the show.

It's not only entertainment we are keen on. We were also watching the movie Interview (yes, the one with a lot of controversy) followed by an in depth discussion about North Korea, Korean War, Discovery Channel documentary, then we went to Wikipedia to look for even more information. It's like we need to know everything possible about the subject. If it interests us. 

Men are often confused by the amount of knowledge I have about NHL. From the top of my head, I could tell you a) how many Finnish goalies are in the league and who is the best Finnish Hockey player right now b) Who is the best scorer in the entire NHL c) Captains of every major team and the coaches d) I know which teams are based in the Canada and which are the original six teams in the league and so on. Why? Because NHL is one of my interests.

The same goes with many fields that I'm keen on. I invest time and energy to find out everything possible there is about the subject. Need to know. Is it like an obsession? Yes and no. The difference is that obsessions are something that take over your life, I can let go of mine. I'm not obsessing when my favorite team isn't playing or if someone gets hurt, I just know a lot about the subjects that I'm interested in.


I don't speak Mandarin

Frustration. I hate being bad at something. I'm okay to be okay but being bad at something, I don't like. Recently I have been mad at myself for being lazy with math. If I understood math, I would understand the World better.

For example I've been looking into astrology and space recently and I find it very frustrating that I can't understand everything about it. I can't do calculations and I don't see the patterns and formulas. I don't speak numbers, they are foreign to me. Am I lazy or just handicapped when it comes to math? What separates me and math is either: my own ability to learn it or willingness to try to understand it. It is easier to say that I can't than I'm willing to try. If I would just have a tutor, who would start math with me from the very beginning, would I get it? For years my math teachers told me that "when you click with math, you just get it". I'm still waiting for that click.

Tell me Everything

Just today I went through my mums old magazines. Took them apart and put them into categories of a) articles of travel b) food recopies c) pictures to work d) quotes e) things that interest me. I spent hours and hours reading old magazines from recipes on "How to cook Mediterranean cousines" to unlock the secrets of Korea and to read relationship stories.


Past

Yesterday I spent few hours at my uncles house to listen stories of my families past. I don't know much about my mum's side of the family. I was shown a picture of my grandmother, whom I have never met as she passed before my time and I was just enchanted by her. I was trying to find my own features from her face. She was tall and handsome woman, where I'm short and chubby. She had high cheeks and big smile. Who is she?

I felt like a little girl sitting there and listening when my mum and my uncle reminiscing about the past. We had coffee, and stories were exchanged. I was presented with books, old news articles and fragile photos of the past. This is my family lineage, these people in the photos, most of them are gone and so are their stories. My grandad was a sailor. He sailed somewhere in the Atlantic, somewhere in Norway. Are those genes to blame for my wondering feet and lack of interest to stay put.

Overwhelmed

Sometimes, I'm slightly overwhelmed by all the things I want to do. We have so little time. I want to travel to old Persia, to speak Arabic. I also want to buy a house where I can have a big yard and space for my family to pop in for a visit anytime. I want to become a teacher, to live in the country side and to have my own garden. I want to learn to speak Italian, to travel to Asia and even to North Korea. I want to write my own book. I want to have my own business at some point but I also want to work for the UN.

Life is a gift. This is something I have realized just recently. That how lucky we are. Floating here in the Space. Minding our own business, living our lives and we been given this time to become whoever and whatever. Why would you settle? Why would you be okay with less than extraordinary? You don't have to do big things but you do need to live. Because, there is just so much we can do with the time we have been given.

Have a good Easter. 

Jenni 

Ei kommentteja: