13.8.2013

The Summer Summary

Hey!

So basically I had two options today

a) To update this blog

b) Clean

As I really need to clean, I will obviously choose option a) to update.

But where to start?

Last time I was writing I was just going to my Summer holiday, waiting for the Midsummer Madness and the Eurotrip. Well all that happened and is in the past now. I'm back to work now. I have actually started a new job as I quit my old one just two days after going back. Life has been - a bit overwhelming lately.

Last year I made this HUGE recap of mine and Sallas trip, this year I'm a bit too lazy to do that, I'll use pics to tell the story.

I had plans back in June to share some Midsummer Madness stories but it's so long ago that what's the point? We spent four days in Haukivuori, five hour drive from Helsinki, we got drunk, ate, swam and got back home. No for realz, it was tons of fun.

It's always fun when the four of us get together and party up. Obviously by 'us four' I mean the ladies I spend most of my free time with Katri, Salla and Vaenssa but there were others too at the cabin too. It was Heikki who invited us and I owe a big thank you to him!

How was it? 

Great! I only lost my nerves once and got over that annoyance very quickly. I also started an eternal fight against 'Paarma', vicious horse flies that were after my blood all midsummer. Those fuckers tried to get a bite out of me every time I was outside.

Katri cooked us a proper barbecue meal with ribs and all and then we did crepes on this massive pan. I finally went for a swim, happily avoided hangover and loved spending time with the girls and boys too. Overall, it was a very good way of spending your midsummer, not only with your best friends but also making some new friends too!



After the midsummer my main focus was just get through the last week of work. Children were a bit anxious and off the walls as they were waiting for the freedom as well. The last week of work was a bit bittersweet as it happens, it was also my last week there with the children and coworkers. I went to the summer vocation thinking that I'd be back, only to resign later on.

Original plan was to stay home till my trip to Sweden but I decided to visit Vaasa after all. I hopped to the train on Tuesday to go meet and greet family and friends.

 I met up with Jenna and Sarita and stayed overnight at Johannas. I was lucky enough to catch up with the Bride-To-Be  who came over to Johannas for a quick chat.. I also spent some time with my little brother and my mum (too little!) And just before going back, I had a nice barbecue with my siblings and their children at my dads. Trip home was a short one as I was due to leave to Stockholm upcoming Monday.



I was a bit nervous about Stockholm, I haven't been travelling alone for a while and I get so easily lost. But, I knew that my aunt and uncle are quite awesome and I'm relatively fluent in Swedish, so by Sunday evening I was more than ready for the departure.

I had to take a little detour as I was called in for a job interview. Why did I apply? As much as I enjoyed my old place I was a bit bored. When I was in Vaasa I had quite a lot of paperwork stuff and planning but now I've been mostly with kids, which is fine but I wanted to do more. To show what I got.

Before leaving on Monday I was wearing my best clothes and went for the interview (got the job!) and ran home, took my bag back and left. One of my favorite parts when traveling is the moment when you close the door behind, "I'll see you later" I thought to myself and left without looking back.

First there was Stockholm.



My week in Stockholm was great! I absolutely love my aunt Pia and her husband Lasse and they took me in so well. There was food, company and so much laughter. I wasn't in Stockholm all by myself, as it happens that my mum and her hubby were passing by on their way to Göteborg. We spent two days together in Stockholm and it was so nice to spend time with mum, it's so rare for us to have any quality time together. Now we did and it was awesome.

One of my favorite memories from the Summer 2013 is the morning I spent with my uncle Lasse. Lasse is fully Swedish, but because he is married to a Finn, he does understand some Finnish - not a lot. But when I woke up that Wednesday and the it was raining outside thus I decided to stay in, I ended up having a four hour discussion with my uncle. We talked about everything. His travels in the past, his way from the very Northern Sweden into Stockholm and falling in love with my aunt. We talked about my dreams and hopes for the future. When I mentioned to him how my dad was asking about when do I start a family and settle down. Lasse was so supporting with my life choices and simply said: Well Jenni, don't you stress about that. You are such a good person and you've always chosen your own path and it might be sometimes hard for others to understand but in the end of the day, only thing matters is that you are happy with your life.

On Thursday evening I went out for few drinks and some Indian food only to get a message from Salla "See you tomorrow!!!!" And as sad as I was to leave my aunt and uncle, I was also very excited over starting my travels with Salla.

8.00 clock on Friday morning at Arlanda airport I see my best friend running towards me and giving me one of rear hugs. "We are going Jenni! So excited over this!"

First we went to Milan.




 I feel very awful for saying this but Milan was not my favorite place. Milan was very beautiful and Duomo was breathtaking. I mean honestly, the detail in which church was build is beyond words! It was magnificent.

The people seemd rather busy and weren't too nice. There was Prada, Gucci and Louis Vuitton in every corner and even the wine was expensive. We were in Milan just for one day but it was enough. We were ready to head of towards Cinque Terre area, area we skipped the year before.



We left from Milan on Saturday and took a train towards La Spezia. We had booked a bed and breakfast there and from the first moment, we liked the place - a lot.

Our plan in La Spezia was to hike all five 'legendary' fishermen towns located in Cinque Terre:

Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.



That was the plan.

But as we put our snickers on and were ready to do some hiking, only to be told that "The road is closed" (Many Lord of the Rings jokes came out of this! "You cannot pass this!") The main road which connected the cities was only partly open, the main

parts were closed so we decided to visit the town by train, it took 5-15min with train /per city.

The train pass was quite handy. It was 20€ but unlimited travelling between the cities. It's not the same doing the hike but when hike is not an option, use this!

These pictures tell you rather well how was our first week in Italy..

Blue blue blue.

Sun sun sun.




In stead of hiking we did this.

Sunbathing.

We visited most of the cities but when we got to Manarola and found an awesome beach and spent the next day there. Me and Salla are not always the smartest tools in the shed when it comes to tanning. We are aware how it's not good for you and how your skins suffers et cetera.

We know how important it is to use sun lotion. But honestly, we didn't have any with us. We had tanning OIL which included sun protection. But kids. It wasn't the same. (Somewhere my friend Johanna is screaming! WHAT no sun lotion! You idiots!!)

So basically we did this all day:










Only to return to the hotel and having my chest, thighs and upper back burned. With Sallas nose, forehead and arse burned. The night was super painful and I can't describe the moment when cold aloe vera meets burnt skin. Ecstasy.

But honestly, Cinque Terre was beyond beautiful. I loved the place and so did Salla. People were very nice, wine was cheap, food was amazing and life seemd to be very easy going and relaxing in the  Italian Riviera. 


WHY Cinque Terre?


1. It's Beautiful

Here in the picture is the town of Vernazza.




2. Food is good

I loved the food. I've always been so picky about my food but with Sallas encouragement I had my first taste of mussels - and drool - I loved them. So yummy! After tasting once, I had to have second taste and a third and... This portion was ~10€. All fresh!

Me and Salla got even a little bit annoyed how there were no Supermarkets anywhere but you just bought everything fresh. So if you didn't shop in the morning, no chance of find anything to eat in the evening.



3. Wine is cheap 

I've only been drinking wine for a year now but when you are in Italy, you turn into win-o quite quickly because it's chill, it's cheap and it's always available.


We spent four amazing days in La Spezia / Cinque Terre and were rather upset to leave.


We really didn't want to.

But no rest for the wicked and our next destination was waiting. Lake Como.

Why Lake Como? Well, when you google Italy, almost everywhere is a mention about the beauty of Lake Como and I'm one of those that I need to see it to believe it. Also George Clooney lives there.

Choice was obvious.

Whereas Cinque Terre was about the beach and the fisherman towns, Como was about the Alps and the Lake. Our first evening in Lake Como we had been contacted by a Couchsurfer from China who was at the area, she invited us to have a dinner with her and her host.

Couchsurfig?

Somewhere, sometime I heard someone mentioning couchsurfing. A network connecting travelers around the world. Travelers looking for 'a couch' to sleep on, company or travel trips / advice. More details here: Couchsurfing - Wikipedia .

I've been a member for a while now and decided to 'connect' with other surfers during my trip. I got a message from a fellow Couchsurfer Ellyse, who was going to be in the area at the same time. Our paths only crossed briefly but she invited us to have dinner with her host Marco. We spent the evening chatting, exchanging world views and got some travel tips from Marco. And based on his advice, we decided to make a quick trip to Switzerland the next day.

We took a quick train to city of Lugano. But honestly, we only spent three hours in Swizerland because it was so expensive. We were rather hungry and after looking at the menus in front of the restaurants only to realize that even in McDonalds, Big Mac Meal cost 15€ we decided to go back to Italy.

Lugano was very beautiful indeed!




Because  we got back from Lugano so early,
 we had time to explore the city of Como - from high up. Salla noticed immediately that there was a way to get high up in the city - with a funicular.

You know, a tram going upwards. And I hate two things: high places and elevators, therefore it's no surprise I was white as a sheet when we entered the purple box. Luckily we did go as we had breathtaking views from high up and enjoyed some wine in an amazing terrace looking down to the city and the Como Lake.




 Because we had now seen the city and the area from above, it was time to take the trip to the Lake.

Early on the next morning, we took a boat cruise and spent the day exploring the lake and the towns around it. The day seemd a bit rainy at first but turned into sun shine and warmth.

I liked the towns around Como quite a bit and made a mental note that one day I should make trip there again but this time book a hotel from one of the towns surrounding the Lake.

Como left us with mixed feelings. 

We had such a high expectations of the place. It was supposed to breathtakingly beautiful, and it was but it wasn't worth the hype. Yes, I was a little disappointed but it could be just because I really loved the Cinque Terre area so much?

We also had a bit creepy hotel in Como. First of all our shower was see-trough and placed in the room that you naked ass was for everyone too see. And the hotel owner /receptionist was a bit creepy. He seemd to have no clue who was in and out of the hotel. And thirdly, when we got back from the boar cruise there was a "Lonely Planet Italy" sitting on the table and I asked Salla: "Oh, when did you buy this?" I didn't. It's not mine. o_O

Our last stop in Italy was in Turin (Torino).

I had been in contact with another Italian Couchsurfer, Daniele and he had offered to show us around Turin. Unfortunately we were in Turin only for two days as the town really took us by surprise. It was bigger than we thought and there was so much to see and so much to do. On Saturday Daniele and his friend Mirko took us around Turin.

Turin literally had a little bit of everything.

There were the Romans, the Egyptian museum, the Finger of Mussolini, the Hell Church, The Shroud of Jesus, the Apls, the Apertive.. Travel tip: Prepare to be overwhelmed by Turin! It has a lot to offer!








Daniele and Mirko were so nice and friendly and we are very thankful for the tour!

Daniele even took us the next day a) First to have lunch with his mum who had cooked us proper Italian meal! And b) to swim in a lake by the Alps. 

First of all, his mum was such a sweetheart! Only problem we had was the language, we didn't speak Italian, and she only understood Italian! Luckily Daniele translated and we also used body language! After the meal we drove a little bit off the city centre and went for a swim!

The trip back was a bit too exciting as Daniele dropped us off to the train station. We only then realized that there were no ticket machines and no direct trains back to Turin. We didn't speak Italian so we asked "Turin? Turin?" from one of the rail workers (he was wearing a orange vest, so we assumed he worked for the Train Italia!) And he pointed a train and one Italian lady told us we needed to change train in some city and we were so nervous and anxious and the train was late and it was getting late .. long story short. We made it back to Turin, slept the night well and said sad goodbyes to Italy!

Because we left so early from Turin (7am) we had plans to sleep in the train... but you can't sleep in the train when the train is going through the Alps! It was so amazing to go through the mountains! At one point you are up and the next you are in a tunnel. Basically me and Salla had our face in the train window and were staring outside.

Salla especially was feeling a bit down to leave Italy.. but only till the moment she asked the conductor "Lyon?" and pointing the train in front of us and this very happy, very French man said in a happy voice "OUI!" Salla started smiling and said

"Maybe it's not going to be too bad after all!"



Oh Lyon Lyon! How to describe the Little Paris.

We thought that when we left Italy, we would leave the heat behind .. but oh no, how we were wrong.
Apparently, all of France was suffering from a heath wave - it was more hot than it was in Italy.

Lyon was so warm and we were so thirsty and sweaty all the time! This wasn't our first time in Lyon as we visited Lyon last year but only spent an evening there as we were on our way to Marseilles. Based on that one evening in Lyon, we liked what we saw and decided to come back, to really explore the city. And EAT. Lyon is famous for food and Salla especially had taken upon herself to taste the local delicacies.




I love Lyon!

In my opinion, the best part about Lyon is, that it's not too big but it's not too small either.

It's very French but people are very friendly and they speak good English. Whenever I say to someone "I've been to France" the immediate reaction is "Oh, but they don't speak any English there - right". No, not right, they do speak and the ones who don't try their best to understand and find the words! In Lyon we basically just wondered around.

Because it was so hot, espacially around 1-2pm, we spent a lot of time sitting in the shade, drinking wine and coffee. We ate some fine local cousine and literally just enjoyed. We knew our trip was closing to an end so spending the days just wondering, not rushing and just enjoying the city in general.

Me and Salla not fuzzy about the museums and queuing up to view the Mona Lisa. We go in if it's free or if the wait is not too long. We did visit some churches in Lyon, the main one up in the hill was just beyond magnificent. Gold everywhere and it always amazes me the skill and detail people make/have made sculptures, paintings and art.



Travel tip! If you ever visit Lyon, make sure not to miss the amazing mural local artists have made. I wondered there by accident and spent good 15 minutes staring at the wall. The mural includes faces of all the famous Lyonese people in history and it's very interesting!

Fresque Des Lyonnais




And then, finally, Paris.

It was time to face the facts: The trip is almost done, we are almost finished.

It's time to go home.

Luckily we saved a really good spot for last. Paris! I'm a very lucky girl because I have really good friends.. REALLY good. So good that they would arrange me and my friend to stay over at their place even when they are not present. My friend whom I met in Kenya, Cami, offered us to stay at her house while in Paris. She was herself in Africa for work but organized me and Salla to get the keys so we can stay at hers. Cami, I'm so thankful for this. I hope to repay your hospitality one day!

We were in Paris from Tuesday to Saturday, and it was amazing. Me and Salla toured the city, went to the Eiffel Tower, ate at the Hard Rock Cafe Paris and just explored the nooks and corners of the city of Love.

I think one of my favorite stories, is when we were wondering around the Notre Dame. Salla noticed you can go in and the queue was even reasonable. Well we did only to realize there was a Catholic mass.

We decided to attend the mass and while were listening the French mass there was a heavy rain shower outside. We stayed in for a good hour, admiring the insides of this legendary church and went outside just after the rain had stopped.

Talk about good timing!



















My dream came true on Wednesday, when we went to the Disneyland.

"But Jenni, why is it so important? It's for kids".

I've loved Disney movies every since I was a little girl.

Don't forget, I'm the part of the generation who grew up when the Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast and the Lion King were relished. I grew up with these three movies played on my VCR on daily basis. And every Disney movie back then had a commercial "Visit Disneyland Paris, where your dreams come true!" 

Unfortunately, in the 90s Finland went through recession so there was no way, family of five could ever afford a trip to Disneyland. But it was my dream, that one day I shall do it. And after going back and forth with "yes" and "no" I decided that because I have the money, we have the time and who knows when I come Paris again... I'll do it!  Salla, being an amazing friend that she is, was okay with it. She was just laughing because it's really rare to see me so excited over anything, I was the little girl when we went thorough the gates!

Disneyland was awesome! Only thing I can complain was that some of the rides didn't work properly but even that was because of the heath, it was so warm and hot that there were some issues with the rides but overall - my dream came true, it was as amazing as I had always imagined it to be.

Just, everything about it was so unreal. It was like visiting the Disney movies, everything was done with careful detail. Cafe wasn't just a cafe but you actually felt like walking into animated movie and expected Mickey to walk in with his buddies. My absolute favorite was the Alice in the Wonderland maze. I've been reading about Alices adventures, the original book so I really enjoyed seeing the characters there. Salla was more keen on visiting the Pirates of The Carribean area and there was a Jack Sparrow wondering around.




Highlight of Disneyland was when I actually went to a roller-coaster.

Salla didn't want to force me into coming with her, as she knows I don't like roller-coasters that much but I was in the queue with her for good 40 mintutes and thought to myself "Been waiting for this long, mind as well do it!" So we took a ride called: "Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom" and screamed.A lot. I'm not even ashamed to admit the amount of screaming that took place in those two minutes the ride lasted. It was horrifying and awesome. And I don't want to do it anytime soon.



We were so exhausted after spending the day in the Disneyland, that even though Cami was back from her trip and asked us for a late dinner - we just couldn't. It was too much. We walked just in Disneyland for eight kilometers.

Whereas I was excited about the Disneyland - Salla was excited about the next day, it was our last day in Paris but also known as Sallas shoppig day! We left early from the house and made our way to the city centre. The day wasn't just about shopping but also I had made plans to meet up with my French friend Carine who I became friends with while living in Glasgow. She happened to be in Paris at the same time so we just had to meet up. We were a bit worried because we were supposed to meet Carine at 2pm but she was nowhere to be seen! Luckily she found her way, a 'bit' late but also with a good excuse. She had asked for a train ticket to Louvre, but hadn't specified that not the town part called Louvre but to the Louvre museum so she had to make big detour before finding us.

We spent the day chatting, shopping and walking around Paris. 

It was so nice to see my friend and to hear that she was doing more than fine and that even after two years of separation, our friendship is still doing well and it felt like no time had passed since our Glasgow adventures!

7 After Salla was satisfied with her shopping, we said goodbyes to Carine and returned to Camis house - for the last time. To pack and prepare for the return trip home. Camis boyfriend was visiting Cami and so was Camis other friend and they invited us to enjoy some late dinner with them. I was bit unwilling as I had so much to pack and organize but we decided to join the crew after we were finished with packing. I'm happy that we did go as we had the perfect last evening in Paris. Camis friends were very friendly and there was no problem with the language. We were dining in a 'raw meat' restaurant but me and Salla weren't as daring to taste the raw meats and decided to have some pasta. I tried some from Cami and it wasn't at all bad even though it looked just like raw means meat.

The day of homecoming was upon us as it was time to go home. It's funny how after three weeks of traveling, you long to go home. To have a date with your own bed, greet your clothes and enjoy a good long shower.

This feeling never lasts long, it usually passes very quickly.

We got home after some troubles, basically we got into the plane and were sitting and waiting for the take off - for a good 40 minutes. There were massive thunderstorms (because of the heat!) and all flights were delayed. Eventually we took off and made it home.

Salla planned what she wants to eat on our way back. We made a stop at local market to get coffee and soda and then Fafa's restaurant to get some take off falafel. The original plan was to do nothing on that Sunday but I still felt like I was on a holiday and when I woke up, I remembered that Rihanna was playing in Helsinki on Sunday evening. I asked Salla would she be interested in going to her  concert, and at first she wasn't but I talked her into it and because it was sold out, Salla said that "If you find tickets, we'll go!"

I was successful to find a person online who sold me two tickets for an okay seats for an okay price. And the Queen was amazing. Absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn't sit still but I was jumping up and down and sang along the songs like "We found love" and "Only Girl" . Thank you Queen. Now I've seen her and Britney. Both of my Pop Divas live, only band now that I really want to see live is Panic at the Disco.

That's it.

All of this basically sums up my Summer 2013. It was hectic, it was amazing, it was busy and full of adventures. I met new people, I ate some new foods and I spent time with my friends and family.

My August started with a new job and getting some couchsurfers to our place, two girls from Holland and one girl from Ukraine.

Vanessa and Katri had decided to move in together as roommates and we just had Vanessas dog Merlin with us when the girls were renovating their flat.

I've been chatting with Jordan and making Christmas plans to spend it in America. I've been talking on the phone for 1.5hours with Sarita. I've been making new connections and learning new stuff for my new work and learning to carry the title "Leader of the Kindergarten". And most of all, I'm overly excited and very emotional over Johanna and Samis wedding which is happening next month. My next focus is not only with my work but also to organize one awesome bachelorette party for Johanna!

Lastly, I'd like to thank my amazing friend - my best friend for traveling with me.

I could not imagine a better person to do these travels with. Salla, my dear - you are an amazing friend and such a good person.

Only reason why were ever found our hotels or found our way anywhere in this travel was because of you.

I value your friendship so much, because you get me, you understand me so well! For example when I was feeling cranky and miserable so instead of getting mad at me for complaining you said: "Alright, let it all out. C'moon. Tell me all the things that annoy you at the moment and I guarantee you will feel better afterwards"

And I did and ended up with laughing at all the things that were annoying me, it was so silly after you said them out loud.

They say you can't live and travel with your friend, it ruins the friendship - but it seems just like those friendships are not like ours. I love you so much and I try to tell it to you often, so you'll never doubt it. Next stop for us: California. It will be epic.


I also want to thank the new friends I made: 

Daniele and Mirko, thank you so much for taking the time to show us Turin. Thank you Daniele for opening your home and for taking us to your mums. She is such a sweetheart!

I want to thank Carine for hoping to the train and arranging time to meet us in Paris. I'm also so very grateful for Cami, not just for hosting us but also proven to be such a good friend. Thank you for taking us into your home and being my friend!

There would be still so many stories to tell, so many photos to show but honestly, I think everyone who has read this post has had quite enough for one post and wants to continue what ever you were doing before reading all of this!

Thank you guys! Hopefully you all have had a great Summer too!



Next travel for me, California ;)

Jenni

Ei kommentteja: