23.7.2012

Pisa, Rome and The Angry Gladiator: Eurotrip Part 3


..There are things on my bucket list that I most definitely want to see and witness with my own eyes. I've seen a lot so far. Wild animals in Kenya, seen the lights of Madison Square Garden, been behind the gates of Buckingham Palace and I stood under the Eiffel tower. I still need to see the Hagia Sofia in Istanbul, the great wall of China, Israel, Mecca, the pyramids, temples in Cambodia, the Grand Canyon, go down the Amazon river and see the works of Incas. But those are in the future .. what I could see and witness in Italy were also all in my list. The Pisa Tower, the Colosseum, walk around in Florence and witness the miracle of the sinking city of Venice.

I was supposed to write this as a one big blog post but then after two hours of writing it just grew too big. So Italy is in two parts. Pisa and Rome and then rest of the trip in one :) 


ITALY

***


.... Whereas in France PDA "Public Display of Affection" was mediocre, hugs and holding hands .. in Italy it was hardcore. We witnessed full on french kisses. We didn't see "a pat in the back" but groping. There was a whole lotta action going on underwater in Capri but to quote my travel partner ....


"Dear lord, I haven't seen this much PDA since I was a teenager. These people are just full on with their business .. but then again. If I were Italian and looked like that, lived under the Sun and was living in this great city and had a steaming hot boyfriend .. I'd be doing the same. It seems like they have a lot of sex .. sex does make people happier and Italian seem rather happy ... I think Finns should have more sex - would do them good to be a bit more happy time to time. Happy people don't kill anyone because they are more focused on getting home and getting laid".  
-Salla


Our train from Nice to Pisa took around six hours. Six hours isn't really that bad, but when you've been travelling in trains so SO much, it does get rather boring. How we usually spent our time during  these longer trains rides was : listening to music, reading the Game of Thrones (we both had the same book with us), talking and mostly sleeping. Talking was alright when we started our trip but after two weeks of being with one person .. you kinda get all talked out.

Coming from France to Italy you could immediately see the change. Everything in France was well kept and the houses usually looked spotless and clean. Italy ... everything was a bit worn. Not saying it was dirty and messy but a bit worn. You could see that locals just couldn't afford to be as spotless and I'm not sure if they really even wanted to be.


The town of Pisa was about the one thing. Pisa tower. 


The road to Pisa tower from the train station was "just walk straight". We ditched our luggage on baggage drop and started walking straight .. straight to the Pisa tower.

It's funny you know. You read about it, you heard about it but when it's there, leaning towards the skyline it really makes you stop. "I never realized it leans down so much, thought it was a bit overrated.." Salla wondered. And I agreed, there it was - leaning, a little to the left. It was magnificent. Funniest part was the people around Pisa tower. Tourists were trying to take "leaning pictures". There were people posing with their tongues out. Their butts out. They leaned and pushed. Some people pushed from one side when other leaned in the other. One jumped and one was one others shoulders. We sat down to watch this and it was so amusing. And then we did it too. 

From Pisa we headed to Rome. And Rome Rome Rome. Rome has been my Paris. Whereas Salla has always wanted to see Paris, I have always wanted to see Rome. I'm not ashamed to admit being a bit of history geek. My history grade has always been 10 or A+. I just find it fascinating, I find the stories of "What It Was Like Before", fascinating so walking around Rome was like walking around an open museum. History was part of everything. There was statue here and there, piece of old wall next to a newer building. There were gated areas everywhere and you weren't even sure what to view, what to watch. I was looking here and there, loving the sun and loving the people of Rome. So so polite. Salla said that she had imagined Rome to be crowded, stuffy and dirty but it was rather lovely instead. People stopped to let you cross the street and were ever so polite .. and then they pull out their wooden sword. 

The Angry Gladiator

We had to take break. It was 43c in the Sun and Salla was just melting in the tourist bus. We drank 5 liters of water but it wasn't enough. It was just so so hot. We had seen the Vatican (amazing beyond words) and couldn't even imagine queuing in, even though I had been determined to do so before. +43 and 3 hour queue. No thank you. We dragged our sorry asses back to the hotel and each spent 40min in the cool shower. We waited for the midday sun to pass before heading out again. The MAGNIFICENT Colosseum was not too far from our hotel so we walked there. That's when Salla spotted the Rainbow flags. Being a big Raindow supporter we went to have a drink in a gay bar. It was lovely! To have a big gay street just next to the Colosseum. In Rome! Where there is a cross in every corner there was also a flag of diversity.


After our espressos we waited for the tour bus and then we spotted the gladiator. I take pictures of everything, so obviously I took a picture of the gladiator walking our way. He saw me take the pic and insisted taking one with Salla. I was more than delighted. He was a short man and carried a small wooden sword with him. "And now you pay me a little.." he said after the pic. I really thought he was joking and said a very stern NO. He wasn't amused but started shouting at me and he was very vile. That's when I realized he was for real. He was pointing at me with his small wooden sword and saying "Let's go and see the police you thief. DO YOU THINK I DRESS LIKE THIS BECAUSE I LIKE IT?? IT'S MY JOB". Then I deleted the pics. He insisted witnessing this act and shouted DELETE DELETE. And then walked off. It was a good reminder, nothing is ever free but there is almost always a thought behind a kind act.

The Cute Hotel Owner


I'm the most cautious traveler. I look at everyone with suspicion and think they are about to steal my bag, or my money. I don't buy if I'm harassed nor do I give out money for those who ask. I never give my details and I always pay cash. Almost always that seems. When in Rome we hurried to our hotel and I just didn't see a ATM anywhere. Salla had her half of the hotel rent but I didn't. So I thought that Imma just pay the rest with my VISA.


          
The hotel was GREAT! A Small B&B, very clean and had a washing machine (which we later on learnt that needs to open exact five minutes after it's done washing or else it won't open. And ur laundry is in until the staff comes back..)  and a hair dryer .. and a really cute owner.  Me and Salla giggled like teenagers when the handsome Italian showed us around. Of course, he didn't have a bank machine with him so he asked if he could have my card number and make the withdraw in a bank. He was so so charming. His hand was on my shoulder and looking me with those big brown eyes. . So I said, yes. Sure. I gave him the card details but in the back of my head I thought it wouldn't work because i didn't give the three digits from the back of the card. Those three digits are the ones that surely approve the payment, he doesn't have them so this won't go through. It just can't.  The moment he walked out - I knew that I've just done a terrible mistake. Stupid bitch I said to myself. And then I said that to Salla. Because the place seemd so legit we were sure he would't mess things up and we decided to wait for the receipt. 


The following day I was going bananas  because we hadn't seen the owner and we didn't have a receipt. Salla called him and insisted upon getting one and he agreed. We never saw the man again but i got receipt, stamped one from the Rome Bank with signatures and right amount. No extra had been taken from my account but was I scared? Yes. And did I solve things out with my bank later on - yes. I'm only telling this story so you guys won't get played like I did. People almost never are what they appear to be. I got lucky, maybe next time I won't be so lucky. Cocky travelers are the worst as they like to think they are above everyone else, when they really just get played in some other way. 

There is a saying, that when you throw a coin to the The Trevi Fountain, that means you'll come back to Rome. And I sure will come back.


 I've been asked many times which was my favorite place? Which city took my breath away? And the answer is ..  Rome. Rome filled all the expectations and more. There is still so much to see and explore in Rome. We spent three days in Rome and even on the third day we just ran around the city like a some headless geese. "We need to get there, there is still time to see that.." 


Doing this headless running while trying to hide from the merciless Sun above us. What I really wanted to do was to stand behind an artist when they were a painting or snoop inside an old book store. I could've spend days snooping around museum or by just sitting in a cafe and staring people. But there is always a next time, and I have my seven coins in the Trevi Fountain so I sure as hell will come back to Rome. 

But next time won't be in June or July but when it rains so I can just snoop inside the museums and the Vatican without anyone pushing me out or hearing the clock tic. 

And then, we were off for the last part of our trip. We started our journey towards Naples and what a journey that was. I think Salla learnt her lesson of guide books and what to believe in Naples.


Stay tuned for the last part. 

xx. Jenni

2 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Kaikki opaskirjat varoittaa myös noista rasittavista Gladiaattoreista. Kukahan noitakin tuonne palkkaa.

Jenni S. kirjoitti...

Joo, sepä. Mäki ajattelin että miten mukavaa että Rooma on panostanu näin paljo tähän historian "eloon" tuomiseen gladiaattoreiden avulla. Oon kohdannu maailmalla moisia maksullisia kuvattavia ennenki mutta jotenki tässä olin ihan sinisilmänen.. pelottavinta oli kyllä ku se vihtoi sillä miekalla! :)