Honestly, I really tried not to have my hopes up - but there was a little hope that, maybe. But no. Finland got a alllllll alfa male president. Sauli is a MAN. He has tons of money, he is conservative and he has a nice wifey at home. He has wanted this for long so let him have it. Welcome Mr. President Niinstö. You have a lot of work to do to convince US, the other side that you can do this. Tomorrow is Monday, good day to start.
BUT.
But but but but but I will say this.
Okay. He won fare and square. Congratulations.
Those who voted for him for the Right Reasons - Congrats.
Those who didn't vote Pekka Haavisto because he is gay. Shame on you.
What did I learn from this election? Tons.
I deleted five friends from my Facebook friends. I have no space for intolerance in my life. Fool me once shame on you but fool me twice shame on me. I'm an active Facebooker. Usually I have Facebook open all the time even when I'm not at home. So when I read my wall I will not have people with postings "Hate that homo" .. Nooooo delete.
I do feel bad for Pekka supporters. I think the Youth Of the Nation really wanted a chance. First we have True Finns winning the parliamentary election and then a gay candidate goes for the second round in the elections. What are you trying to say Young Finland? What is going on?
I find my country really peaceful and lovely. But lately, I have noticed a change. I'm on one side and I have True Finns and Christians values on the other. I get annoyed and angry with people I used to consider as my friends and there are people saying to me "Well we know where you stand". It's interesting. It's turmoil, we are innit. Finns don't really rally in the streets and protest but I feel there is something going on, something I can't quite grasp.
There is one side saying everyone is equal and My Finland Is International and other saying Gay Marriage is a sin and My Finland Is For the Finns. I don't really believe this turmoil is about homosexuality, I think gay rights are just one way to channel the turmoil and anger that has been building up...

...Imma just say. We are living in some interesting times. On one hand Finland wants to change, Finns wan't to be different - better. We like to have foreign people here and travel there. We like to speak English and be international. We like that we have straight friends and gay friends. We like that news papers around the world cover stories about Finland or that Conan O'Brien comes here for a visit. But.. On the other hand. There are Finns who think we should only stick with our own kind. No to Russians and homo's. "The Bible says..." We have Finns who get into a bar fight with a foreigner because he is black. We allow black women here but not black men. Some Finns think that we should leave Euro. Some Finns think we pay enough Europe's bullshit. Some Finns think that it's outrageous thought to have a gay president.
Finland is changing. Now it's just about choosing sides.
My Finland won this election. Yes, Haavisto did not become a president but he became a voice. Thanks to Pekka people with same ideologies and thought found each other. We are not alone here, there are others here who think we need to change. Niinistö won but he couldn't stop the Youth of the Nation. My Facebook is filled with people who are disappointed.
I love you my Finns. Cheer Up will you.
Maybe one day we can all go to the streets again to celebrate Finland. Like we did with World Cup of Hockey win. At the moment we don't feel like celebrating but one day, Finland will be untied again and hopefully it's the kind of Finland we can all be proud of. With Gay or Not Gay President.
Jenni Sofia


Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti